The term “startup” has been bandied around with increasing frequency over the past few years to describe young business ventures. But what is a startup, really?
“A startup is a company working to solve a problem where the solution is not obvious and success is not guaranteed,” – Neil Blumenthal, cofounder and co-CEO of Warby Parker.
There are no hard and fast rules on setting up a startup. However, most startups in Nigeria begin with an online presence as that will give them their targeted audience as well as introduce them to a large the market.
You should note that even when people have join your company online and are still making the explicit decision to forgo stability in exchange for the promise of tremendous growth and the excitement of making immediate impact, It might be difficult to get them to attend an offline program especially one that doesn’t involve sharing of money.
Here are few tips to organizing an a offline event as a startup.
- Know your target Audience: The value or the product you want to sell determines your target audience. If you want to teach a group of people how to design website, you probably be looking at undergraduates, fresh graduates, NYSC member or generally Technology lovers. So your target audience is youths.
- Choose a Location: Knowing your target audience determines where you do choose your location. From the target audience we have above, we can easily choose a location near a University, a college or an NYSC camp.
- Get Sponsors: Getting sponsors for your offline program as a startup is really not easy but this will help
- Tell a friend: A problem half shared is a problem half solved. Sharing your event proposal with a friend who is in your career path might just get you the sponsors you need. It only takes one person to know another.
- Utilize your Social Media and Partner: It might interest you to know that on social media like Facebook, you are probably sitting on top of millions of people and don’t know who is watching. Start a campaign on your social media with room for sponsors partners and volunteers, highlighting what they stand to get like access to email list of attendees, an opportunity to sell to your audience and so on.
- Send Out Proposals to Companies: Locate companies most especially in your chosen location and send them proposals highlighting the need that they sponsor you and the benefits attached. In other words, sell your idea high!
- Make it Free: It is important you make your first event as a startup free. This to attract massive audience who do give you job in the future or recommend you.
- Attach a Product to it: As far as you gave out quality value, selling your product will be much easier. Your products could be eBooks, audios, videos and so on. This is what I call “Equal Reaction to Value added”. People will scream please take my money once the value you added is a quality one with future prospects to financial breakthrough and of course applicable to a large market.
If you find this article useful, please leave us a comment.